Daxue Consulting has conducted a series of surveys on Competitive Benchmarking in China and developed the specific framework to analyze the key insights related to your competition in China:
- Business model in China
- Sales performance
- Market share
- Promotion strategies
- Distribution models
- Pricing methods
- Product adaption for the Chinese market (for international brands)
These elements will include key information to collect before your market entry or expansion to adjust your strategy and be ahead of the competition. It will also give you an understanding of your competitors “working hypothesis” when it comes to the Chinese consumers, i.e. how their strategy is adapted to their understanding of the Chinese consumers. These working hypotheses will then be integrated into your market intelligence analysis and be validated through consumer-focused methodologies: online survey, focus groups, social listening or in-depth interviews.
This competition analysis will be, as any analysis from Daxue Consulting, fully data-driven. Data collection will be made through:
- Desk research
- Social listening
- Mystery calls of competitors
- Store-checks of distribution networks
- Mystery visits of service-related stores
- In-depth interviews with market insiders of competitor management itself
These types of research are aimed at empowering our clients with comprehensive information on how to sell, where to sell, how to differentiate, and how to access distribution networks in China. Our project managers will provide as many operational recommendations as possible.
The segmentation between local and international Competition Analysis in China
Competitive analysis is defined as identifying your competitors and evaluating their strategies to determine their strengths and weaknesses about those of your product or service. Both domestically and internationally, there is a lot of competition in China as new markets emerge and companies look to make a name for themselves. To succeed, knowing and understanding the competition is key for success. Daxue provides you with the tools needed to win in a market full of players. We evaluate your competitors by placing them in strategic groups according to how directly they compete for a share of the customer’s dollar.
Our strategy includes listing your competitor’s:
- Product or service
- Growth pattern
- Marketing objectives and assumptions
- Current and past strategies
- Organizational and cost structure
- Strengths and weaknesses
- Size (in sales) of the competitor’s business
The key to finding success in the market is to know and understand who you’re competing with.
According to the USCBC 2014 member survey, US businesses say that they are facing increasing numbers of Chinese competitors and suffer lack of competitive advantage on the Chinese market. This sentiment is now the top challenge for American companies doing business in China. Moreover, along with domestic competition, many other international businesses will certainly be looking to enter similar markets to yours, and only a few get to share the market. Daxue not only understands this but is prepared to assist you in dealing with these exact issues. Through our effective benchmark tests, carried out by industry experts, we can develop the relevant and efficient competitive edge over both international players and local companies.
To successfully evaluate one of your competitors within China, we ask and find answers to the following questions:
- Who are your competitors?
- What products or services do they sell?
- What is each competitor’s market share?
- What are their past strategies?
- What are their current strategies?
- What type of media are used to market their products or services?
- How many hours per week do they purchase to advertise through the media used in this market?
- What are each competitor’s strengths and weaknesses?
- What potential threats do your competitors pose?
- What potential opportunities do they make available for you?
China is a market full of opportunity in some sectors, and Daxue Consulting is here to provide you and your business with the right tools to be at the top of your game within your market. Both Chinese and international companies will present themselves as competition, but merely accepting that is not enough. Daxue will provide data, reports, insight, and answers to questions to help you change and adapt your company to the unique Chinese market. You’ve got questions; we’ve got answers. See what we mean.
The recommendations from the market research will be supplemented by:
- Maps of distribution networks
- Reports of competitor’s practices and their distribution networks
- Summary sheets that detail the strategy of competitors
- Recommendations on distribution strategies
Daxue Consulting Conducts Competitive Benchmarking in China through proven methodologies
To conduct Competitive Benchmarking in China, Daxue Consulting uses several methodologies:
- Documentary research through the Internet and magazines
- Qualitative interviews with market experts such as consultants and professors
- Interviews with competitors through various approaches
- Qualitative interviews with clients
- Synthesis of internal documents, etc.
Daxue Consulting has completed the following projects:
- For a brand in the perfume sector – conducted a complete distribution analysis
- For an individual – interviewed 12 food distributors
- For an SME – provided a study of prospective distributors
Learn more about: